"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." - Henry David Thoreau


I know I said "blog like no one is reading" but it's nice to know these people are

Friday, April 2, 2010

I don't have a Bucket List

Friday Follow

I was ahead of the game when I wrote this post last night but I really like Friday Following so I will combine the two and hope everyone has a wonderful Easter weekend.


Or a life list or any other kind of list on which I intend to check things off like swimming on the Great Barrier Reef or bungee jumping off the Lion's Gate Bridge or appearing on a reality TV show. No, those things just don't do it for me and sometimes I wonder if there is something wrong with me. Everyone these days seems to be setting goals to run a half marathon or write a novel or learn to dance the tango. Me? I hate running and while I love writing I can't fathom writing enough for a novel and I can't follow anyone while dancing. I never dreamed I'd be riding again until my husband and children surprised me with a horse for Christmas but I have no intention of going on the show jumping circuit. I don't want to swim across Georgian Bay or go on a solo canoe trip. I don't want to go back to school and get my Master's or learn to play the guitar. I don't want to meet any movie stars or backpack across Australia. I don't aspire to make a Baked Alaska or be in the Guiness Book of World Records for anything.



But as I approach my 44th birthday later this month I did come up with a list of the few pretty cool things, if I do say so myself, that I have done - so far.


  • I have lived in three countries

  • I have driven a vintage Jaguar convertible with the top down

  • I have made love on the beach

  • I had a French Canadian boyfriend

  • I have seen the Northern Lights

  • I spent two nights in the woods alone

  • I married my high school sweetheart

  • I went topless on the beach in the south of France

  • I have skied in the Alps

  • I have eaten snails, alligator, venison and muskox

  • I know how to make a fire, clean a fish and paddle a canoe

  • I taught my then boyfriend, now husband how to drive a stick shift

  • I might be able to add sking and golfing on the same day today, I'll let you know

So, all in all, that's not a bad list and I guess the thing about me is I am not very good at planning things long term so I will never set five year goals or even make big plans for my 50th birthday but I am usually game for anything when it comes along. Call me spontaneous or maybe just lazy but I do believe that life is what happens when you are busy making plans.

8 comments:

  1. I don’t think it’s such a bad thing not to have a bucket list – I think it means you’re content and happy both with the way life is and how you see it unfolding in the future. Of course we all have wishes & dreams but to set unrealistic goals and not achieve them would only depress me.

    Your list of “have dones” is impressive. Carry on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I'm now chasing 40 fast and hard, maybe I should come up with a bucket list? Except, I like living life by the seat of my pants and I don't actually want to set goals for myself that I may never meet, so therefore don't want to fail. Dumb, eh? I guess I just want to take each opportunity as it comes and make something of it. As for wanting to do things just to do them and say I did it, well sure, I still have those. Just not a focus of mine. But I love reading about others who do this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of cool stuff indeed that you have done! I hope to add some of that to my list! There's always time! I'm a new follower at AGalNeedsAtLeast2Blogs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Friday!! I am a New Follower!!

    Have a Great Easter Weekend!!!

    Oh and Check Out My Awesome Giveaways!!

    Sarah

    sarahsblogoffun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a wonderful list you have. And I love your blog title - very smart!

    Found you through Friday Follow - just wanted to say 'hi' (from Vancouver)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one impressive list. I need to step up my game for sure!

    Following from FF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping by from the Friday Follow Celebration! I'm your newest follower!

    Find me here
    www.marvelousmommy.com

    and here
    www.marvelousmommy365.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like you've done some pretty fabulous things!

    Following you from FF!

    http://thingsicantsay-shell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin