I was ahead of the game when I wrote this post last night but I really like Friday Following so I will combine the two and hope everyone has a wonderful Easter weekend.
Or a life list or any other kind of list on which I intend to check things off like swimming on the Great Barrier Reef or bungee jumping off the Lion's Gate Bridge or appearing on a reality TV show. No, those things just don't do it for me and sometimes I wonder if there is something wrong with me. Everyone these days seems to be setting goals to run a half marathon or write a novel or learn to dance the tango. Me? I hate running and while I love writing I can't fathom writing enough for a novel and I can't follow anyone while dancing. I never dreamed I'd be riding again until my husband and children surprised me with a horse for Christmas but I have no intention of going on the show jumping circuit. I don't want to swim across Georgian Bay or go on a solo canoe trip. I don't want to go back to school and get my Master's or learn to play the guitar. I don't want to meet any movie stars or backpack across Australia. I don't aspire to make a Baked Alaska or be in the Guiness Book of World Records for anything.
But as I approach my 44th birthday later this month I did come up with a list of the few pretty cool things, if I do say so myself, that I have done - so far.
- I have lived in three countries
- I have driven a vintage Jaguar convertible with the top down
- I have made love on the beach
- I had a French Canadian boyfriend
- I have seen the Northern Lights
- I spent two nights in the woods alone
- I married my high school sweetheart
- I went topless on the beach in the south of France
- I have skied in the Alps
- I have eaten snails, alligator, venison and muskox
- I know how to make a fire, clean a fish and paddle a canoe
- I taught my then boyfriend, now husband how to drive a stick shift
- I might be able to add sking and golfing on the same day today, I'll let you know
So, all in all, that's not a bad list and I guess the thing about me is I am not very good at planning things long term so I will never set five year goals or even make big plans for my 50th birthday but I am usually game for anything when it comes along. Call me spontaneous or maybe just lazy but I do believe that life is what happens when you are busy making plans.