"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." - Henry David Thoreau


I know I said "blog like no one is reading" but it's nice to know these people are

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Days 3, 4 & 4 - Happy Family Day

I just finished writing a long email to my sister-in-law who was on Day 9 of kids home sick and I am on Day 5 of 12 with my other half away. My email subject was "Cid's Perfectly Horrible Very Bad Day" My 3 boys had been tag-teaming me on who could be the most obnoxious, unhelpful and downright mean all weekend. They all got the prize. I barely survived the long weekend with Monday being the second year of "Family Day" in Ontario. How ironic that while I was supposed to be celebrating with my love on Valentine's Day and then with my children and their father (who is, in fact, the same guy as my love) on Family Day, I was barely keeping my head above the depths of the Single Motherhood ocean. The entire weekend revolved around the boys. But then what weekend doesn't? They had to be at the hill for ski lessons, they had to be fed constantly, they had to have their skis sharpened and waxed for their races (not in any way shape or form part of my job description) and they had to have their friends over and their friends' parents which was a nice diversion but by 9pm on Sunday night I was so damn tired all I could say to my guests was, "there is another bottle in the fridge, I have to go to bed now."

But as my mother always said, there is nothing that can't be made better than by a good sleep. Actually my mother never said anything remotely that corny but it is true. I woke up Monday morning to the sun shining in (finally the days are getting noticeably longer) and my guests making the kids breakfast.

At least the weather smartened up and the sun shone all day and we were all able to sit out on the deck and eat fondue and drink beer while the kids skied their faces off.

I guess what I have been trying to say in a very round-about way is that we have to remember we are not alone in our little worlds of motherhood. Somewhere out there someone else is cleaning up barf for the umteenth time, screaming for them to stop fighting and pouring another glass of wine and ignoring the crash from the playroom. Once again I say, thank you to all you other bloggers out there sharing your tales of woe and wonder and leaving me encouraging comments. Only 6 more days to go.

3 comments:

  1. "Somewhere out there someone else is cleaning up barf for the umteenth time, screaming for them to stop fighting and pouring another glass of wine and ignoring the crash from the playroom"

    Um, yeah. That was me yesterday... Today, the sun is shining and I'm picking up the pieces and starting again. Thanks for capturing motherhood so eloquently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a very bad, horrible, no good day when my husband was away, too. My then 3yo decided to exercise his will on every matter large and small for an entire day...thankfully, the rest of the time was just exhausting. Just a few more days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so true and why i love blogs.

    my three kids just about tied me up and duct taped me to a chair last weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin