"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." - Henry David Thoreau


I know I said "blog like no one is reading" but it's nice to know these people are

Monday, March 2, 2009

A Room of One's Own



I am sitting at my husband's desk while Number 2 son is on "my" computer in the kitchen. That's it, the one buried under field trip forms, capless markers, random scraps of paper with to do lists, a couple of stray hockey cards and the dust bunnies that have migrated from under the table to on top behind the printer. Usually I can clear a space for myself to work but at 3 o'clock I have hide everything so it doesn't get lost in the tsunami that appears every afternoon when the boys unpack their school bags. While some may dream of gourmet kitchens and others covet the ultimate spa en suite, all I desire, as Virgina Woolf put it, is "A Room of One's Own." Virginia was ahead of her time as she knew that "a woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction." While what I write is not all fiction, it is true that I would love to have a small space to call my own. A place to read, write and be me, not some body's mother or wife, but just me.
This blog is a start, it has helped me, after 11 years as a SAHM get back into writing. Who knows where it may lead?
For now, until our dream of an addition on the house is realized I will go back to my desk in the midst of the kitchen chaos and maybe I will make the suggestion that it might be a good idea for me to get my own laptop so the kids can commandeer the PC anytime they have homework or the uncontrollable urge to listen to Weird Al on You Tube. Soon enough they will be IMing and facebooking and the chances of me getting anywhere near the keyboard will be even slimmer. So I will officially launch my "since we don't have the money for an addition, maybe a laptop would be a good alternative" stealth campaign. I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

  1. It's an incredibly important thing to have a space just for you - or so I'm told. A laptop sounds like a good step in the right direction. I'm vying for a treehouse with a wireless connection and a "No Boys Allowed" sign. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know when you move in/up and I'll bring a treehouse-warming bottle of wine or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I'm working on a similar campaign...I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why do so many of us women (myself included) end up with our computers in the family living areas? Sanity dictates that we should have a space to call our own.
    A laptop helps but you’ll be surprised at how often “they” borrow that, too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin